So, you’ve finally taken the plunge and purchased your first home. Of course, if you’re moving from a smaller apartment into a full house, you probably don’t have anywhere near enough furniture or “stuff” to fill up the space.
You don’t need to rush out and buy everything all at once—“stuff” has a way of collecting over time, and faster than you might even want. But if you’re interested in learning how you can start from scratch in selecting and planning your home décor, here’s some good information from our furniture store in Dickinson, ND:
- Know what you like: Figuring out your ideal style isn’t always an easy task. It’s not always easy to articulate exactly what you do and don’t like about certain styles, so we recommend looking at pictures of other homes. Browsing Pinterest is a great way to get a full collection of photos of various styles. The more you look at and compare them, the more you’ll be able to figure out what you like with regard to styles, patterns, objects and furniture.
- Have a budget in mind: How much are you able and willing to spend on your interior decoration? Again, it’s probably not going to be feasible to decorate your entire house at once, so start with the room where you expect to spend the most time, and prioritize that room. You’ll find it’s soothing to have at least one room that is completely finished rather than having a bunch that are all in the middle of being redone.
- Draw out a plan: Having a floor plan in front of you will make it a lot easier to figure out design configurations that will work for each room. There are tools on the internet that have made this task easier than ever—simply plug in some measurements and use the available templates and you’ll be able to create a scaled version of your room that you can work with. Then, using the dimensions of the furniture you’re looking at, you can figure out how it will fit in your room, and if any configurations simply won’t work.
- Choose a color palette: There are different philosophies of choosing colors. For some people, the flooring is best used to dictate your color palette. Others use a piece of art, a rug or a beloved accessory. The idea is to find a focal point from which you create a color palette you love, and then you can let the rest of your home décor in Dickinson, ND come from that.
- Paint: Paint is one of the least expensive and easiest ways to personalize your new home. You’ll be amazed at how much a new paint color can transform a room and present brand new opportunities for decoration.
Looking for more tips about how you can get the most out of your interior design in your new home? Contact Dickinson Furniture City Inc. or visit our furniture store in Dickinson, ND today.
This post was written by Writer